The stock Android recovery does not offer users to do much, they got mainly three options erase data, update, and reboot device to the normal. Whereas TWRP recovery offers you to install custom ROM & custom kernel, Root your device, Firmware backup, and many more options. In this tutorial, I will tell you the easiest method to install TWRP recovery on Android smartphones with step by step
Before going to the actual topic, let’s talk about TWRP Recovery
What is TWRP Recovery
TWRP stands for Team Win Recovery Project, is an open-source custom recovery for Android devices. You can use TWRP recovery to flash new custom ROMs, Root your Android smartphone flashing magisk or SU zip file, or flash other modules, etc. You can easily take a full backup of your Android device. The latest TWRP recovery is TWRP v3.3.1-0 you can easily download it from its official website.
There are mainly two types of custom recovery. TWRP(Team Win Recovery Project) & CWM (Clockwork Mod) where CWM is used for old handset devices that do not offer to do much and TWRP is used in the latest model smartphones that offer a lot more to play with settings.
Read More: 25 Best Android Apps
How to install TWRP Recovery
Installing TWRP recovery on Android is very simple & easy. Just follow the given method to install TWRP for all brand’s Android devices
Note: Since it is a critical process, doing unwanted things you could easily harm your device or operating system. So be prepared yourself by taking a full Nandroid backup into your PC storage or anywhere else.
- A Laptop/PC or Desktop
- USB Cable
- Android Device with unlocked bootloader — Here, how to unlock the bootloader
- Install Minimal ADB & Fastboot Drivers
- Download TWRP image for your device from here
- A Human IQ
Follow the given instructions to install TWRP recovery on your Android phone
1. Enable USB debugging
This option is found under the developer settings which is disabled by default. Goto Android settings > About phone > Build number > Tap 7 times to get developer option. Then open developer settings and enable USB debugging.
2. Setup ADB & Fastboot Drivers
Download ADB & Fastboot files on your PC and extract them. Then install Minimal ADB on your desktop.
- Rename TWRP-x-x-x.img downloaded image file to TWRP.img to the fastboot folder or ‘platform-tools‘ folder as shown in image
3. Connect Device to PC
Now in the third step, you need to reboot your device into bootloader mode by pressing power + volume down (-) button simultaneously and then connect your Android device to PC using a USB cable
4. Run ADB Commands
Once the device is connected via USB cable, open the folder where TWRP.img file is stored. Then press Shift key + Right button of the mouse simultaneously and select Powershell Window or Command Window here and then enter the given commands in console one by one
(i) To check whether device is connected to PC or not. If it is connected it will show you some random numbers
(ii) Type this command and hit enter to flash TWRP into your device
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
If it shows finished without any error, means, you have successfully installed TWRP recovery. To reboot the device into TWRP, press & hold Power+Vol down (-) button simultaneously for 10 seconds. If you’re a Xiaomi brand smartphone you need to flash lazyflasher.zip file using TWRP
- Select install >> choose lazyflasher.zip >> swipe to install and then click reboot.
There are many options you get on the TWRP recovery installation. In this section, we have listed all important TWRP options/functions that you could use to customize your Android.
1. Install: The main purpose of this option is to install custom ROMs, Custom Kernels, or any other flashable zip file. You can use this option to flash recoveries other than TWRP.
2. Wipe: This option will help you to wipe smartphone data user data. It contains two more options:
- Format Data: You can use this option to perform a factory reset operation that will erase your internal storage as well.
- Advanced Wipe: This option is used when you flash new ROM.
3. Backup: Use this option to take a full Nandroid backup which you can restore using Restore option.
5. Mount: Use to mount the storage.
6. Settings: Some other settings related to TWRP.
7. File Manager: Use the file manager to browse files.
8. Reboot: You can reboot your device to the bootloader mode or system directly from here.
I hope this tutorial will help you to install TWRP recovery on your Android phone. If you face any problems during this process let me know in the comment box. Have a nice day:)